Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville was established in 1983 as a healthcare law firm by a core group of attorneys drawn from government and the private practice of law. These dedicated lawyers shared a common mission – to deliver superior legal services exclusively to the healthcare industry and its professions.
The firm quickly became and continues to be one of one of the most experienced and respected healthcare law firm practices in the country. Today the firm continues the innovative thinking and proactive counsel that made it among the most successful firms by addressing the particular needs, concerns, and issues faced by healthcare providers in this volatile and highly regulated environment.
Powers advises and represents healthcare entities of virtually every size, type and description, and provides a comprehensive range of legal services to assist these clients with their unique needs. The firm is well known for its Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, fraud and abuse, drug-pricing, transactional, litigation and disability practices, as well as its expertise in HIPAA compliance and medical privacy issues.
Powers healthcare attorneys are true advocates who work to influence legislative and administrative policy, vigorously represent their clients’ interests before the courts and agencies, and apply their experience to the benefit of clients in matters concerning the complex interplay of regulations and their effect on healthcare providers and practitioners.
History of Industry Leadership
The cornerstones of the firm’s healthcare practice are its members’ diverse backgrounds and depth and breadth of experience. Powers healthcare attorneys bring a unique perspective to client issues and concerns through their history of service as advisors at high levels of government and through active participation in critical professional and industry groups. These associations further expand Powers’ sphere of influence within the healthcare arena.
Relevant posts currently or formerly held by Powers healthcare law firm members include:
- First Chief Counsel for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the Health Care Financing Administration)
- Key advisor on healthcare issues in the Executive Office of the President of the United States
- Various positions within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Key advisors to the United States Attorneys’ Offices
- Members of Presidential Commissions on Healthcare
- President of American Health Lawyers Association
- Past President of National Health Lawyers Association (now AHLA)
- General Counsel, Washington Counsel or Special Counsel on healthcare matters for hundreds of providers, companies, and trade and professional associations in the healthcare industry – in some cases, representing these clients for more than 30 years
Our clients include:
- Hospitals and hospital systems
- Academic medical centers
- Physicians, surgeons and other healthcare professionals
- Professional organizations
- Trade associations
- Medical device manufacturers
- Long-term care facilities
- Home health agencies
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Diagnostic imaging centers
- Organ procurement organizations
- Dialysis clinics
- Managed care organizations
- Provider networks
- Pharmacy benefit managers
- Clinical Data Registries