Peter Thomas is Managing Partner of Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville, and he serves as chair of the executive committee.
Peter W. Thomas joined Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville in 1991 and became a principal in 1996. He has a federal law and legislative practice in the areas of healthcare and disability policy, Medicare coverage and reimbursement policy, medical rehabilitation services, devices and research, appropriations, and vocational and community services and supports. Peter’s public service includes:
- National Advisory Council of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1998 to 2001)
- President's Advisory Commission on Consumer Protection and Quality in the Health Care Industry: Chair; Subcommittee on Consumer Rights, Protections and Responsibilities (1997-1998)
- National Advisory Board for the Center on Medical Rehabilitation Research at the National Institutes of Health (1992-1996).
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Improving the Disability Decision Process: SSA’s Listing of Impairments and Agency Access to Medical Expertise; National Academy of Sciences (2005-2006)
- Negotiated nationwide global settlement of Medicare inpatient rehabilitation claims (2019)
Peter has served on a number of nonprofit boards including the Center for International Rehabilitation/Physicians Against Land Mines, the Foundation for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and the American Trauma Society. He has also served as a Trustee for the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (2002-2004). He has served as Co-Chair of the Health Task Force of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities for more than 15 years and General Counsel to the National Association for the Advancement of Orthotics and Prosthetics.
Peter has personal experience with disability and is a co-author of The Americans with Disabilities Act: A Guidebook for Management and People with Disabilities (1993).
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1989
B.A., cum laude, Boston College, 1986
District of Columbia