Mark is a principal at Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville with 30 years of healthcare law experience.
Mark represents integrated healthcare systems, particularly systems that include academic medical centers, on a broad array of healthcare regulatory and compliance matters, including compliance with the Stark and anti-kickback laws, Medicare billing and reimbursement, and self-disclosure matters. He also has extensive experience structuring healthcare transactions to minimize compliance risk and avoid reimbursement pitfalls.
Mark has been recognized for his healthcare law expertise in The Best Lawyers in America; “Band One” of Chambers and Partners Healthcare Lawyers for the District of Columbia; and Washingtonian Magazine top lawyers.
Mark’s recent work experience includes:
- Serving as special counsel for compliance and reimbursement issues in support of multi-billion dollar academic health systems in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States
- Providing advice on enterprise risk management strategies to Board and C-suite executives
- Representing healthcare providers in connection with Medicare fraud investigations, HHS OIG audits, and Stark and kickback self-disclosure matters
- Representing a health system in the negotiation of a long term, full spectrum revenue cycle management services agreement
- Representing components of an academic medical center in the development of a cutting edge, multi-million dollar cancer treatment center
- Representing a multi-hospital alliance on service and supply contracting arrangements, and
- Counsel to multi-specialty group practice on healthcare and business law matters
Honors & Awards
Recognition by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Healthcare Practice, 2006 – present
Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2013 - present
Best Lawyers in DC, 2013 - present
Member, Editorial Board, Catholic University Law Review