Healthcare Policy and Advocacy
Legislative strategy is often the best means to turn what can appear as an intractable regulatory policy issue into a client victory. Tools often used include coalition building, direct lobbying for either legislation or legislative input into the regulatory realm.
In short, the Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville team deciphers and interprets highly complex healthcare matters and translates them into action.
One of the most effective strategies is assisting clients is working in coalition with others. We often partner with physician and other health care professional groups, health systems, and patient groups to develop persuasive policy arguments and strategies to influence Congress and relevant agencies. We also find great value in hosting Capitol Hill “fly-ins,” bringing our clients directly to the policymakers to make their case and build lasting relationships with key legislators.
It is through carefully crafted legislative targeting that we chose which member of Congress will be most impactful for our client’s specific needs. We often engage these members of Congress to communicate directly to other high-level policymakers who have the power to make or initiate change. We also often arrange Capitol Hill briefings, enlist members of Congress or their staff to speak at client meetings, and provide individual or group lobbying/advocacy training. We are frequently called upon to give legislative speeches to clients, often through monthly conference calls or in presentations at our clients’ meetings.
We achieve clients’ goals by actively nurturing our strong relationships on Capitol Hill on both sides of the political aisle to find the right policy solutions. Our team is especially active with committees of “relevant jurisdiction” in the healthcare realm: the House Energy and Commerce committee, House Ways and Means committee, Senate Finance committee, Senate Health, Education, and Labor (HELP) committee, and other committees on both sides of the aisle.
Recent Powers accomplishments include:
- Enlisted four Senators – John Cornyn (R-TX), Ed Markey (D-MA), Rob Portman (R-OH), and Michael Bennet (D-CO) – to introduce bipartisan legislation that gained the support of more than 75 national organizations for legislation to convert the successful Independence at Home demonstration into a national program
- Created a working relationship with the Government Accountability Office following inclusion of language to study remote monitoring in the MACRA law. Worked with bill sponsors to have the language included, crafted a white paper that House champions sent to GAO evidencing our clients’ expertise, and continued follow up to advise GAO
- Created and support a formal coalition of Ryan White Clinics working in the 340B drug discount program, bolstering regulatory efforts through direct lobbying, coalition work, and member recruitment to solidify the coalition’s influence and impact
- Advanced key legislation for organ donation, transplantation, and immunosuppressant drug coverage, working with allies to enlist Members of Congress to champion each bill. We also spurred House action on the HIV Organ Policy Equity Act, resulting in its passage and President’s signature into law
- Engaged House and Senate champions to introduce legislation to advance rehabilitation research in Congress. Legislation successfully passed out of the Senate HELP committee and is slated for inclusion in a larger legislative vehicle