Leela K. Baggett is an associate in the Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville Healthcare practice group. She counsels healthcare providers and practitioners on a wide variety of regulatory, litigation, and legislative matters.
Her range of legal and legislative advocacy experience includes the following:
• Advising on compliance with Medicare coverage, coding, reimbursement, and enrollment requirements.
• Providing legal assistance with Medicare fee-for-service claim and cost report appeals.
• Advocating for legislative and regulatory policy impacting rehabilitation services and orthotic and prosthetic care.
• Providing counsel on the 340B drug pricing program and federally qualified health center requirements.
• Providing advice regarding state licensure and Medicaid requirements.
Leela also counsels Native American tribes and tribal enterprises on transactional and gaming matters.
She received her Juris Doctor, with honors, from The George Washington University Law School in 2015. While in law school, Leela served as an intern at the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General and as a health policy intern at the United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. She also served as a Notes and Projects Editor of The George Washington Law Review, President of the Student Health Law Association, Treasurer of the Political Law Society, and a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board.
- Peter W. Thomas & Leela Baggett, U.S. Supreme Court Challenges Validity of CMS “Guidance” Impacting Payment of Rehabilitation Services and Devices, AMPRA Magazine (August 2019).
- Peter W. Thomas & Leela Baggett, Risk of Prior Authorization of IRF Care Spreads to Traditional Medicare, AMPRA Magazine (June 2019).
- Peter W. Thomas & Leela Baggett, Federal Medicare O&P Legislation Gets a Reboot, The O&P EDGE (June 2019).
- Peter W. Thomas & Leela Baggett, Critical Developments at the VA Impact the O&P Community, The O&P EDGE (December 2018).
- Peter W. Thomas, Leela Baggett, & Leif Brierley, Healthcare Issues Take Center Stage in Congress, The O&P EDGE (December 2017).
- Barbara Williams & Leela Baggett, Second Quarter Summaries of Departmental Appeals Board (DAB) and Civil Remedies Division (CRD) Decisions April-June 2016, American Health Lawyers Association (December 2017).
- Peter W. Thomas & Leela Baggett, HHS Reveals Details Behind ALJ Backlog, AMPRA Magazine (January 2017).
- William H. von Oehsen III, Jason B. Reddish, Sarah Imhoff, & Leela Baggett, State Medicaid Alternative Reimbursement and Purchasing Test for High-cost Drugs (SMART-D), Center for Evidence-Based Policy Oregon Health & Science University (September 2016).
- Peter W. Thomas, Steve Postal, & Leela Baggett, Affordable Care Act Under Legal Challenge…Again: U.S. House of Representatives Suit Against President Moves Forward, AMRPA Magazine (November 2015).
- Robert M. Portman & Leela Baggett, The Accessible Association: Do Your Meetings and Certifications Comply with the ADA?, ASAE Association Law & Policy (August 2014).
PRACTICE AREASDisability and Rehabilitation
Drug Pricing and 340B Program
Government Relations and Public Policy
Healthcare Policy and Advocacy
Indian Tribal Governments
Medicare Coverage Audits and Appeals
Provider and Practitioner Operations
Tribal Policy and Advocacy
J.D., with honors, George Washington University Law School, 2015
B.A., cum laude, University of Utah, 2011
District of Columbia
MEMBERSHIPS & ACTIVITIES
Women in Government Relations - Health & Social Policies Task Force Member
American Health Lawyers Association - Regulation, Accreditation, and Payment Practice Group; Accreditation, Certification, and Enrollment Affinity Group Member
D.C. Bar - Health Law Community Member, Administrative Law and Agency Practice Community Member