As a new year begins, we at Powers are taking a moment to reflect on the past year, highlight some of our important work, and celebrate our firm successes. Powers is grateful to have the opportunity to represent our clients that work across issues in health care, education, and tribal business among other fields. We look forward to another year of achievements as we round into 2024.
Awards and Recognition
Seven Powers attorneys were selected to Super Lawyers 2023. Principals Mark Fitzgerald and Ron Connelly and Counsel Kathleen Hatfield were listed as outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Principal Dan Brozovic and Associates Leela Baggett, Natalie Dobek Lorenz, and Mark Ogunsusi were selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars, highlighting attorneys under 40 who have been practicing for 10 years or less.
Attorneys across the firm’s four practice areas were recognized in “The Best Lawyers® in America 2024,” including “Ones to Watch®.” See the full list of attorneys recognized here.
Powers’ Principal Sherry Gray was named 2024 Lawyer of the Year in Education Law in the Washington, DC metro area.
Powers’ Managing Partner Peter W. Thomas was one of six international recipients of the prestigious Viscardi Achievement Award which recognizes those who have had a profound impact on shaping attitudes, raising awareness, and improving the quality of life of people with disabilities.
Principal Peggy Tighe was named 2023 Top Lobbyist by the National Institute for Lobbying & Ethics and Leadership Connect.
Principals Julie Allen and Peggy Tighe were recognized as 2023 Top Lobbyists in Washington, DC by The Hill publication.
Powers received recognition in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Law Firms for the 14th consecutive year. Powers achieved a National Tier 1 ranking for Native American Law and a National Tier 2 ranking for Health Care Law. Additionally, the firm secured a Metro Tier 1 ranking for Health Care Law, Education Law, Native American Law, and Nonprofit/Charities Law in Washington, DC.
340B Drug Pricing
Ronald S. Connelly, principal for Powers Law, argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of the Community Health Centers of Arkansas (CHCA) and Piggott Community Hospital in Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America vs. Alan McClain, a 340B case brought by PhRMA to challenge an Arkansas law (Act 1103). The Arkansas law, Act 1103, or the 340B Drug Pricing Nondiscrimination Act, specifically prohibits drugmakers from refusing to distribute discounted drugs to contract pharmacies. Powers prevailed at the district court after intervening to defend the law on behalf of CHCA and Piggott Community Hospital. CHCA and Piggott Community Hospital were also represented by Powers principals William von Oehsen and Barbara Straub Williams and Powers associates Mark Ogunsusi and Fernando Montoya.
MA Prior Authorization
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released and moved to finalize important regulatory reforms to address prior authorization practices by Medicare Advantage plans in support of patients and physicians. The rules were heavily influenced by political and legislative efforts led by Powers’ Principals Peggy Tighe, Diane Millman, and Legislative Manager Natalie Keller on behalf of a client (Regulatory Relief Coalition).
Disability Policy Advocacy
On September 26, 2023, the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), in a landmark decision, designated people with disabilities as a “health disparities population.” This decision follows advocacy led by the Disability and Rehabilitation Research Coalition (DRRC) with the leadership and support of Powers’ Managing Partner Peter Thomas and Legislative Manager Natalie Keller. The designation will dramatically expand access to funding and resources for studying and helping disabled populations. Peter was quoted in the Washington Post following the landmark decision.
Medicare and Medicaid Coverage
CMS published a landmark National Coverage Decision (NCD) for Medicare coverage of seat elevation systems in power wheelchairs. This decision followed extensive advocacy efforts from Powers’ client, the Independence Through Enhancement of Medicare and Medicaid (ITEM) Coalition. Managing Partner Peter Thomas, Associate Leela Baggett, Legislative Director Michael Barnett, and Legislative Manager Natalie Keller worked on behalf of the ITEM coalition in support of this achievement.
Powers Principals Julie Allen and Diane Millman led a successful legislative and regulatory effort to gain CMS regulatory changes in Medicare that will improve pediatric dental patient access to hospital operating rooms and ambulatory surgery centers for dental surgeries. The reforms achieved through Powers’ advocacy in tandem with the pediatric and broader dental community establish first-time billing and improved payment options for hospitals and ASCs, addressing patient barriers to dental surgical access.
A congressional charter for the National American Indian Veterans (NAIV) organization passed into law following advocacy efforts led by Powers Principal Paul Moorehead and Director of Tribal Government Relations Natasha John. Congress grants charters to recognize patriotic and national organizations that operate solely for charitable, literary, educational, scientific or civil improvement purposes. The NAIV serves the needs and interests of Native American veterans in collaboration with its national leadership and 14 regional offices.
40th Anniversary Celebration
Powers celebrated it’s 40th anniversary at the location of its soon-to-be new office location in Washington, DC.. Powers’ valued clients, partners, friends, and alumni joined the firm in toasting its accomplishments and to commemorate the firm’s efforts. See more here.
Employee Spotlights & Presentations
- Principal William von Oehsen and Associate Mark Ogunsusi presented at the National Commission on Correctional Health Care Spring Conference and Health Care Compliance Association 27th Annual Compliance Institute.
- Principals William von Oehsen, Jason Reddish, Peggy Tighe and Associate Mark Ogunsusi presented at the 340B Report‘s 340B Access’ 340B Grantees Fall Conference.
- Principal Ron Connelly presented on Medicare Graduate Medical Education Reimbursement at the American Health Lawyers Association, Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues on March 22 and 23.
- Principals William von Oehsen, Barbara Williams, Peggy Tighe, Jason Reddish, Peggy Tighe, and Associate Mark Ogunsusi hosted a large webinar titled “Understanding the Genesis Court Decision and Its Impact on 340B Patient Eligibility.”
- Principal Dan Brozovic appeared on EdUp Legal’s Making LegalEASY education podcast.
- Principal Jason Reddish presented on the Verity 340B Webinar “Understanding the Impact of the Inflation Reduction Act”.
- Director Natasha John presented at the National American Indian Housing Council Legislative Summit.
- Director Natasha John presented before the National Congress of American Indians Housing Subcommittee on Capitol Hill.
- Principal Dan Brozovic authored an article addressing the U.S. Department of Education’s new Gainful Employment and Financial Value Transparency regulations for the 2023 issue of the Career Education Review.
- Principals Sean Beller, Nick Michiels and Dan Brozovic presented before the New York State Career School Convention.
- Director Natasha John moderated the “Legal Updates Impacting Tribal Housing” panel at the National American Indian Housing Counsel’s Legal Symposium.
- Counsel Christina Hughes and Managing Partner Peter Thomas presented at the American Medical Rehabilitation Providers Association conference.
Jason Reddish joined the firm as a Principal in the healthcare practice.
Michael Barnett joined the firm as Director of Government Relations in the legislative practice.
Delaney Bounds joined the firm as an Associate in the healthcare practice.
Michael Hagan joined the firm as an Associate in the education practice.
Rebecca King joined the firm as Assistant Director of Government Relations in the legislative practice.