Laura Sitarski has worked as an education and litigation attorney in both in-house and law firm settings, with practical experience spanning from existential regulatory and litigation issues to day-to-day counseling and implementation of compliant, practical policies and training.
Laura’s nearly nine years as in-house counsel for both non-profit and for-profit higher education institutions gives her an approach to counseling clients that is grounded in accessibility and practicality. She advises educational institutions on significant institution-wide matters like state, federal, and accreditation compliance, and defends litigation from qui tams to single-plaintiff student and employee cases.
Laura also provides counseling on the more routine matters that schools face each day, such as student discipline and complaints, disability accommodation, Title IX investigations, and how to draft and implement clear, predictable policies to address such issues. She actively monitors interpretive guidance and other developments on a variety of education matters, allowing her to provide exceptional support and insight to her clients. Before going in-house, Laura was a labor and employment lawyer for four years, but her roots in education run deep: she began her career before law school as a high school English teacher.
Laura’s experience includes:
• Drafting and implementing comprehensive policies and associated training programs around student conduct, student complaints, disability accommodation, Title IX, incentive compensation, FERPA, TCPA, and DNC.
• Assisting institutions with Office for Civil Rights investigations, U.S. Department of the Education program reviews, and accreditation self-studies and applications.
• Managing strategy and discovery for federal investigations, qui tam litigation, securities litigation, and class action student and employee litigation.
• Interfacing with state attorneys general on student/consumer protection issues around marketing, disclosure and student satisfaction.
• Advising Boards of Trustees on governance issues.
HONORS & AWARDS
Law Review, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Order of the Coif
MEMBERSHIPS & ACTIVITIES
National Association of College and University Attorneys